Disney!!!! (And Other Things)

/ Location: Paris, France
Adventures in Paris- ready, set,go!

After getting settled in our hostel the day we arrived, we went out for supper at a place just down the road. The waitress soon realized that we spoke English, and proceeded to be very chatty and helpful in telling us where to go to see all the Christmas decorations in Paris! Quite nice. Let "rude Parisian" stereotypes die!

The next day, we got up bright and early (7am! Yes, parents, I actually woke up. But fret not, later on in the post, I redeem my regular character.) in order to make it out to DISNEYLAND. Yes, Disneyland. DISNEYLAND PARIS. T.J.'s boss, Dan (p.s. Dan, if you're reading this, I really don't know if I'll ever be able to thank you enough, it was truly magical! So thanks a MILLION.), got us two day passes for Christmas, and it was AMAZING!

Sleeping Beauty's castle!
Considering the fact that I haven't been to Disneyland since I was about nine, I was a little more than a little excited to be going again- and in Paris no less! And I felt like a total child literally all day, gawking at everything, getting excited over the Disney music playing in the background, and enjoying the rides! Alas, we did not meet one character, but we did catch a glimpse of Minnie Mouse, and walked past the massive lineup to see the princesses. We did see them all go by in the parade, but I feel like that lacks some of the credibility of actually having met them. But obviously that didn't deter it from being the most amazing day ever!
Excited as all heck.
So, Disney music ALL day, Disney related EVERYTHING, and adorable small children dressed in princess dresses as far as the eye can see. Just a little bit of amazing. And, we discovered that Disneyland Paris may actually have the best hot chocolate in the world. T.J. even managed to somehow drag me onto almost 2, but in the end only 1 roller coaster (Indiana Jones, for those curious), AND into the Haunted Manor. And honestly, I can't say I regret either. Haha. Although people who know me well know that that is quite the feat.
Acting like a child. Legitimately the only adult in this lineup. Everybody else was less than half my size. But I think I have one like this from when I went to Disneyland Cali so many years ago sooooo yes. Necessary.
Defying the cold (and oh, it was cold), through scary roller coasters and bad Michael Jackson/Disney collabs (Captain EO- look it up. I don't think you'll regret it), we stuck it out until the very end and saw the SPECTACULAR Christmas fireworks display at the end of the night, accumulating to a grand total of 12.5 hours at Disneyland. Yep. We're crazy.
Supergeeks at the Captain E.O. film. (Seriously, go.)
Fireworks!!
Today, after staying up late last night planning what to do and deciding to sleep in until about 10:30, I actually woke up at 12. Folks, this is me. I turn off the alarm for 10 at about 5 minutes to, because the other people in the room are up getting ready, thinking that I will wake up at 10:30. Except I seriously underestimated my ability to do so, as that evidently didn't happen. But it's fine. We had a looooong and tiring day yesterday (albeit amazing), so we figure we deserved to gain back some sleep.

So today we got around to going to the Arc de Triomphe, and walked through the Christmas market set up down the length of thChamps-Élysées in the afternoon, and then headed up to the Sacre Coeur to watch the sunset as per one of my mom's friend's suggestion. And what sound advice it was! Beautiful watching the lights of the city come up and wandering around the streets of Montmartre afterwards. Also getting slightly lost. But we made it out alright (clearly). The Sacre Coeur is stunningly beautiful. The ceiling above the alter has a huge dome that must have been about 50 feet in circumference and ENTIRELY covered in mosaic. Crazy amazing. Sadly, I do not have photos of the inside of the cathedral because there was no photography allowed, but here are some from outside! Just as amazing inside and out. There was also a mass going on, as it is Sunday evening, and I got slightly excited when they started reading out The Lord's Prayer in French, because I know it! Thanks, Mme. Vildort for drilling that one into us. 
Self explanatory.

Le Sacre Coeur! Tres belle!
View from the top of Montmartre. Paris! Wowowowowow.

And while I'm at it, shoutout to Mme. Vildort actually for teaching French so well, because I am not lost in Paris, let me tell you. It certainly comes in handy. Beaucoup beaucoup de français est parlé! J'aime la! 

Now we're chilling once again in a hostel common room, after half watching Harry Potter 4 which was playing on the TV, planning what tomorrow may bring! (While T.J., who doesn't speak a word of French, watches the repetitive French news channel.)

Talk soon, au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment